Birth Story (Part 1)

Wednesday, June 25, 2014

I am sure not too many women will tell you that they were trying to hold their baby in until after their husband took a test! Well that is exactly what I was doing! Kris had a test on Monday, Feb. 24th, and I was determined to not have George until after that date! I went in for my 38 week check up and the doctor said "I will be surprised if you make it through the weekend"...I thought "Challenge accepted!" Mind you I was MISERABLE!!  I had gained about 10 lbs in water weight in 2 weeks!! I was sooo swollen! But I was keeping that baby in! So I avoided spicy foods, grabbed a good book and put myself on bed rest until my next appointment that Monday (the day of Kris' test).

When I waddled  walked in to the appointment my doctor looked at me pretty impressed. He checked me and said I hadn't changed much since the last appointment...well that is probably because I sat on my butt all weekend eating donuts :) He did note that George was getting in the 7-9 lb range so we decided to set up an induction date for that Wednesday, Feb 26th. Well if you know Kris and me you will know that this was perfect...we love planning!! Even though I had always imagined going into labor the natural way...I never realized how miserable I would feel!! Everything just hurt! So I got over that dream rather quickly!! So back home I went to plan like crazy! It was the only thing I had control over and I was basking in it!

Tuesday night Kris and I planned our last night as just the two of us. We went out to eat and then we came home to finish up some packing and then we were going to just lay in bed, watch a movie, and go to sleep early. We had to be up at the hospital the next morning so we were going to soak up some shut eye. Well like most plans, ours didn't go as we thought...that night I started noticing some fluids that were heavier than normal so we called the on call nurse and she said we needed to go up to the hospital because it sounded like my water might have broken. For some reason hearing that made me super emotional...I was scared, excited, and anxious all at the same time, so therefore I started crying. I tried calling my mom to let her know the change of plans but I was just too emotional to talk, so Kris had to take over. I decided to take a shower before we went in to help calm me down and it definitely helped!

It was around 10:30 pm when we loaded the bags and Sadie to head to the hospital. My mom and stepdad were meeting us there to get Sadie and stay with us for a while. I am sure the lady at the check in area thought we were crazy because we had 5 people there just to check me in and I was a nervous wreck! Everything actually moved along pretty quickly once we were checked in. They went ahead and put us in a labor room since we were going to be up there in the morning to get induced and told us just to plan on staying the night.

The nurse came and checked me and said she couldn't tell if my water had broken or not because George's head was so far down. Dr. Rushing also came and checked in on me and said the same thing. They told us to get comfortable and try and get some shut eye because they were going to induce at 7am the next morning if I hadn't had any changes. We really didn't get much sleep. I was hooked up to monitors and it was so hard to get comfortable on a hospital bed when every time you turn over your monitors move and a nurse has to come in and fix it! We did however have the best night nurse, Devon!! She was so cool and laid back that she calmed me down instantly! I tended to get the shakes/shiver when I get as anxious as I was!

So to sleep we went!  

1 comment:

  1. You can't leave me hanging like that!! lol I was so scared/nervous too!
    xx
    Melissa
    www.lovelikejohnnyandjune.com

    ReplyDelete