New Camera and French Onion Soup!

Monday, September 19, 2011

Kris' gifted us with a new "big" camera!! I am still working on figuring it out but thanks to Pioneer Woman I am doing pretty good!

Here is my Alabama mint! I was practicing...I don't know what I was practicing, but I was practicing! 
My Bama mint is pretty crazy...It has a mind of its own! AND it has now multiplied! No I didn't plant in seeds, I just let it be and it just happened! My basil on the other hand...well we won't talk about that right now :( 

Here is the view from our balcony...its pretty awesome!


So now on to the French Onion Soup!! I used the Pioneer Woman's recipe. I love going to her website for recipes because she shows you how to do everything! I have learned so much from her! My pictures are definitely not as good as hers...I don't have very good lighting in the loft, and for some reason everything looks yellow :( But on we go!

Before I get to cooking I always make sure little Miss Sadie is entertained. This ways she doesn't get under my feet, get in the trash, or eat my onions! Yes, this little doggy isn't as innocent as she looks! 

 So here are the main contenders! 
 Give the onions a good slicing...we want them long and skinny
 Melt the butter
 Throw in the onions and stir to mix with the melted butter
 Cover and cook on medium-low heat for about 20 minutes
 Next, stir the onions, cover the pot, and then place it in an oven at 400 degrees for 1 hour. Leave the lid cracked a little so the onions can get a little brown. (Stir half way through)
 So the onions should look something like this. The Pioneer Woman's was a little more brown than mine but I decided to move on because I was starving!
When you pull it out of the oven put it on medium-high heat and scrap the bits off the bottom and side
Next pour a glass of wine...no this is not for drinking...
Once you have cooked the onions for about 5 minutes, turn off the heat, pour in the wine, then turn the heat right back on.
Cook until the wine starts to reduce
Now pour in the chicken broth
and the beef broth
Now mince up some garlic and throw it in the pot!
Also add some Worcestershire...Now let it simmer for about 45 minutes

 While that is cooking go bug hangout with you puppy on the balcony!
Toast up some bread

Pour the soup into ramekins...we eat a lot so I bought big ones :)
Toss in your bread
and throw on some cheese.
Place ramekins on cookie sheet and broil on low until the cheese is bubbly.
and here you go!

This soup was really good! It will definitely be showing up in our house again! 

1 comment:

  1. Hey girl, change the White Balance, WB button on your camera to adjust the coloring of your photos. When I'm inside in my kitchen with no light I usually use the lightbulb setting because it offsets the yellow glow of your bulbs. Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete